Monday, May 6, 2013

The Writer and Technology

So this is my first blog. I was persuaded to start this by someone who is very close to me. She has always encouraged me to write. I don’t know if I’m that great or if I ever will be. I guess practise makes perfect. I just want to cast my ideas, stories and moments of randomness on to everyone who can or is willing to read. This brings me to the topic of how technology empowers me and allows me to come in contact with all of you. Thousands have done it this far and many more will, I’m just another drop in the ocean.
Today we have technology that empowers us. When I say us, I mean us writers. We text, mail, E-publish and exhibit our work on Smashwords for the world to see. All this with the hope of being discovered by someone important and offered a publishing deal. While technology empowers us and allows us to promote and sell ourselves to readers and publicists, it’s not usually as easy as it sounds. Writers are like sea turtle hatchlings, only a handful of us will make it to the sea which is success. We will be scorched, lost, picked and eaten by you the readers and critics. Some of us will never taste that sweet salty water. So, while technology empowers us to promote, it is you who determine our fate.
Therefore I ask you to read, not only my work, but all bloggers’ and writers’. Give critic and be ruthless. Encourage and break down. Those who make it through the dangers of the scorching sand will deserve the reward in the big blue.

For the writers who are interested in Smashwords; here's a link to the sign up page. http://www.smashwords.com/signup?sony=yes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate it!